STATE HEALTH PLAN AVAILABLE FOR FIRE AND RESCUE PERSONNEL
If you are an active firefighter or rescue squad worker or a member of the North Carolina Firefighters’ and Rescue Workers’ Pension Fund, under certain conditions you may be eligible to purchase health coverage for you and your family under the North Carolina State Health Plan for Teachers and State Employees on a fully contributory basis. G.S. 135-48.40(d).
Who may be eligible to participate?
- Members actively serving as firefighters or rescue squad workers and retired members who receive a monthly benefit from the North Carolina Firefighters’ and Rescue Squad Workers’ Pension Fund.
- Dependents of members, including spouses and natural, legally adopted, or foster children up to the end of the month of their 26th
Participation is voluntary, but to be eligible to participate you must be:
- Certified by your Fire Department, Rescue Squad, or Emergency Medical Services Unit Head/Administrator.
- Ineligible for any other comprehensive group health insurance coverage, including Medicare, CHAMPUS, or other uniformed services benefits.
- Without coverage under a comprehensive group health benefit plan for at least 6 consecutive months.
See the attached rate sheet for a breakdown of monthly premium rates associated with the Plan’s 2017 coverage options.
For more information regarding coverage options, enrollment, and eligibility visit shp.nctreasurer.com or contact the North Carolina State Health Plan at 855-859-0966.